Searching for a job? We have some tips for you..
80’s rock band , Whitesnake, famously once sang ‘Here I go again on my own goin’ down the only road I’ve ever known. Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.’ We think David Coverdale was indeed thinking about getting a new job and penned his despair into a perm ridden rock classic. Like David, it can seem a very lonely place when you finally make up your mind, enough is enough, I need a new job.
Whilst we were sitting around waiting for a new COD update to download, we had a chat and put together the below job hunting tips for you.
- Don’t be a recruitment agency whore. Don’t go throwing your CV around to anyone who gives you a little bit of attention and tells you how good you are. You’re better than that, have standards. Choose a few agencies and stick with it.
- Your CV. Look at it as a key to unlock the first door, if your CV isn’t up to scratch, you’re not going to get in front of anyone. Take time on your CV, yes it’s a chore, however time spent on it now will help you reap future rewards.
- Still on your CV. Don’t lie about what you can do – you will get found out. Also, know every inch of your CV, you will get asked questions on it, be aware of what you have written and why you moved on from previous employers.
- References of previous work. A couple of great references could be the difference between you getting a job or not. Approach previous employers, ask them for references, put them in a prominent place on your CV. If you have a glowing reference which also says ‘ yes we would employ this person again’ you are more likely to be selected.
- Don’t apply for jobs online and forget about them. Make a note of what jobs you have applied for and follow them up. If the job is via a recruitment agency, call them after a couple of days to check on your application. Always be polite but stay fresh in an agents thoughts by being constant in their inbox or on the phone.
- Get your social networks gleaming and wonderful. Remove those drunken rants and get your LinkedIN profile looking great. They will get checked.
Just a few quick tips to help you along the way. Now, take a break from writing that perfect CV and have a listen to Coverdale in all his glory (below)